It’s that magical time of year when strawberries and rhubarb are in season! Together, these two fruits [okay, rhubarb technically isn’t a fruit but whatever] make a perfect flavour match of sweet and tart. We’re fortunate to have a thriving rhubarb at the allotment, with beautifully pink stalks. Likewise, British strawberries are having an excellent season and are perfectly juicy and sweet. I knew that I wanted to make some sort of pie this summer and I settled on this recipe for a rustic strawberry rhubarb galette. I’m pretty pleased with how this galette turned out. I encourage you to try my recipe, and take advantage of the gorgeous seasonal produce!
A galette is a is a free-form pie with a single crust. For my galette, I decided to improvise a bit with the pastry. Rather than using plain flour, I created a hybrid of a cornmeal and wholemeal dough. It’s a little bit sweet, a little bit crunchy, and kind of tastes like a shortbread biscuit. So delicious! Want to make this rustic strawberry rhubarb galette vegan / plant based? No worries, just substitute vegan butter!
For more on eating seasonally and summer baking see:
- Eating Seasonally and Locally in the UK while living Zero Waste
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cake
- Strawberry Shortcakes
- Summer Fruit Pavlova
Rustic Strawberry Rhubarb Galette
For the Galette Pastry
- ¾ Cup Plain Flour
- ¼ Cup Polenta (corn meal)
- ½ Cup Wholewheat Flour (wholemeal)
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- ½ Tsp. Salt
- ½ Cup Unsalted cold butter, cubed (substitute vegan butter)
- 6 Tbsp. Cold Water
For the Filling
- 350 grams Diced Rhubarb (½ inch pieces)
- 300 grams Strawberries (quartered)
- ⅓ Cup Sugar
- 1 ½ Tbsp. Corn Starch (corn flour)
- 2 Tbsp. Almond Flour (ground almonds)
- 1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil (melted)
- Demerara Sugar (for sprinkling)
- For your galette dough, mix together the flours, polenta, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add your cubes of cold butter and massage with your finger tips until you have a crumbly pea-sized mixture. You can alternatively use a pastry blender.
- Next, add the cold water and mix with your hands until the dough comes together. Wrap the dough as a flat disk and refrigerate for around 30 minutes.
- To assemble your filling, add you strawberries and rhubarb pieces to a medium bowl. Sprinkle the sugar and corn starch on top, but don't mix.
- Pre-heat your oven to 200°C. Use a baking sheet with a ridge (to avoid liquid spilling) and line it with either parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Once your dough is chilled, roll it out on a floured surface to a 14 inch circle and transfer to your baking sheet. Sprinkle the dough with almond flour to help absorb some of the juice.
- Now mix together the fruit with the sugar and add this filling to the centre of your pastry, leaving an edge. It doesn't need to look perfect, it's rustic!
- Fold the edges over your filling. Brush the edge with coconut oil and sprinkle with the demerara sugar.
- Bake your galette for around 35 minutes, and let cool slightly before serving.