I’m in Vancouver and, for the first time ever, Lucy has joined me for Christmas! We’re still adjusting to the time and the jet lag, but all things considered we had an enjoyable flight and didn’t have to deal with the madness of drones at Gatwick, or the 100 km per hour windstorm that struck Vancouver yesterday. We’ve done a bit of baking already — Lucy made florentines and I made butter tarts and mince pies (see recipe here). In this post, I share a recipe for cinnamon cookies!
We also celebrated my birthday: I got some money to put towards replacing my very tired laptop, and some nice clothes. Andrew (my brother) also got me the game Exploding Kittens, which we will play on Christmas Eve.
I’ve made these cinnamon cookies already this December, and they were so good I’ve decided to do round two in Canada to share them with my family, and share the recipe with you! I suppose they resemble sugar cookies, but with a rich cinnamon flavour. You can make them round like a snicker doodle or do cutout cookies. By doing cutouts, you get a cookie that is crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Yum!🤤
Merry Christmas and I hope you have an enjoyable holiday with your family and friends! I’ll be back next week with a short post on what we’ve been up to this holiday season. 🎄
Cinnamon cookies – recipe from Eat Explore Etc
- 175g. unsalted butter, softened
- 100g. caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 225g. plain flour
- 2 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- Cinnamon sugar mix for sprinkling (approx. 30g. sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon)
- Preheat the oven to 140ºC with a fan or 160ºC.
- Cream together the butter and the sugar with a hand mixer until light and fluffy (4-5min).
- Add the flour and cinnamon and mix until incorporated.
- Use your hands and combine the mixture to form a ball of dough.
- Optional: chill the dough for 20 minutes
- Flour your surface and roll the dough out to 1 cm thick. Cut out desired shapes.
- Sprinkle the sugar mix on the cutouts and bake for approximately 15 minutes.
- As soon as the cookies are out of the oven, sprinkle with the remaining sugar mix.
- Eat ALL THE COOKIES!